The size of Westmead is approximately 3kms in area. It has 4 parks covering nearly 1% of the total area. There are 4 schools and childcare centres located in Westmead. The population of Westmead in 2001 was 9,047 people. By 2006 the population was 11,361 showing a population growth of 26% in the area during that period.
The predominant age group in Westmead is 30-39 years.Households in Westmead are primarily couples with children and are likely to be repaying between $1,000 & $1,200 per month on mortgage repayments.
In general, people in Westmead work in a non-specific occupation.
In 2001, 33% of the homes in Westmead were owner-occupied compared with 34% in 2006.
Westmead is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Westmead is 26 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Parramatta and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
Westmead is bounded by the Parramatta River, Toongabbie Creek and Finlayson Creek in the north. On the east it is bounded by Parramatta Park, the Parramatta Golf Club, Amos Street and Good Street. The southern boundary is the Great Western Highway. The western boundary is Bridge Road and Darcy Road.
With the British settlement of Parramatta, Westmead was originally part of the domain of Government House. What is left of this domain, including Government House, form Parramatta Park. The name Westmead came into use when the governor's domain was first subdivided in 1859. The subdivision of the domain was completed in 1889. The Northern Meadow and Western Meadow of the domain were split off and called Northmead and Westmead. From this time orchards were established by many new settlers, including some whose names were well known in the Parramatta area - George Oakes, Nat Payten and William Fullagar among them.
Parramatta Marist School was established by Fr. John Therry in Hunter Street Parramatta in 1820, under the direction of Mr. George Morley. The school was transferred to the site of the present junior school in 1837 and entrusted to the care of the Marist Brothers in 1875. This makes Parramatta Marist the oldest Catholic school in Australia.
Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children
Health is the major employer in the area, with a large public hospital, a large public children's hospital, a mental health hospital, a private hospital and three medical research facilities spanning basic, genetic, and molecular science for both adults and children. A community foundation supports funraising and awareness activities of Westmead.
Westmead Medical Research Foundation
Westmead Hospital, a major teaching hospital, which was opened in November 1978
Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children (also called The Children's Hospital at Westmead)
Westmead Millennium Institute for Medical Research
Cumberland Hospital, a psychiatric hospital
Westmead Centre for Oral Health
NETS, the moving intensive care service for kids
NRMA CareFlight, the adult medical retrieval service
Telstra Child Flight
University of Western Sydney (UWS).
UWS College, Westmead Campus.
Westmead Public School was established in 1917, when an Infants' School opened in a rented Church of England hall in April of that year. By 1919 the present site was acquired, and the first purpose-built school building was opened in May 1920. In 1923 the building was extended to provide accommodation for Primary students. Within two years the growing local population created demand for additional accommodation for Primary students. At the present day Westmead Public School is one of the best primary schools in NSW, with high academic, sporting and art achievements. It schools over 900 children and has many professional teachers and staff.
The Catherine McAuley Catholic High School is an all Girls school located on the same campus as Parramatta Marist High School
Parramatta Marist High is the oldest Catholic school in Australia, established in 1820.
Sacred Heart Primary School
Westmead Christian Grammar School (formerly Essington Christian Academy) was established at the site of Essington House in 1983. It provides a Christian Education for students from Kindergarten through to Year 6.